Windows 2000 Setup
These simple instructions will serve to help you configure Windows 2000
to use the Internet through TConline. You may need your Windows 2000
Configure the Dialup Connection
- Click on 'Start' | 'Programs' | 'Accessories' | 'Communications' | 'Network and Dialup Connections'
- Double-click on 'Make New Connection'
- On the 'Welcome' screen, select 'I want to set up my Internet connection manually' and click on 'Next'.
- Select 'I connect through a phone line and a modem' and click on 'Next'.
- Enter the phone number for your Texas Comm connection
- Make sure that 'Use area code and dialing rules' is not selected. Numbers are listed in your startup kit. A complete list of Texas Comm dialup numbers can also be found on our Contact Information page.
- If you are in an area that uses 10 digit local dialing, leave the area code field blank and put all 10 digits in the phone number field.
- Click on 'Next'.
- Enter your login name as it appears on your startup kit.
- Enter your password exactly as it appears in your startup kit Watch for L's that look like 1's (ones) and O's that look like 0's (zeros). Also check to be sure that you're entering capital and lower-case letters appropriately.
- Enter 'Texas Comm' for a connection name, and click on 'Next'
- Next, you will be asked if you want to continue setting up an Internet Mail account. If you have no preference in web browsers, we recommend that you select 'Yes', and click on 'Next' to continue setupof the MS Internet Explorer and Outlook Express.
- If you wish to use the Netscape Communicator as your web browser and email program, select 'No' and click on 'Next'
- Make sure to select the box for 'To connect to the Internet immediately...' and click on 'Finish'.
- Make sure that your TConline username is listed correctly
- Enter your password, and make sure you remove anything that appears in that field before typing your own password.
- You may select the 'Save Password' field, which may allow you to connect to TConline in the future without having to re-enter your password.
- Click on 'Connect'
Install and Configure a Web Browser and Email Program
TConline supports a wide variety of popular internet applications, including
both the Microsoft Internet Explorer and the Netscape Navigator. TConline
also supports several programs for email and Usenet News.
If you do not have a preference in web browsers or email programs, we recommend that you continue setup of the Microsoft Internet Explorer and Outlook Express.
If you prefer to use a different web browser or email program, and the
software is already on your computer, here are simple instructions on how to
configure several other popular internet programs. Our supported software
If you wish to use one of these programs and it is not yet installed on your
computer, you can download it from the TConline Internet Software Page.
If you can't find the answers you're looking for here or you have a
suggestion for something that needs to be added to this documentation,
please feel free to send a message to our Technical Support staff.